When required, you can add custom questions to the Document Editor. Creating a new custom question in the Document Editor allows a Company Administrator to add values to letters, documents and contracts that must be completed by a user when creating a document that includes this field.
Custom questions can be added for Contracts, Documents or Letters. When a custom question is added to the Document Editor from any of these locations, it will be available to all other locations - e.g., when a custom merge field is added via the Contract Editor, it will be available to use when creating Letter templates, and vice versa.
To use a custom question, you must add it to a document template. When a custom question is added to a document template, any user creating a document from this template will be prompted to provide an answer to the custom question which will be populated to the document.
To create and use a custom question, you must:
- Create a custom question in the library
- Add the custom question merge field to a document template.
Creating a custom question
- To create a custom question, select the Show merge field questions option on the left-hand side of the Document Editor screen:
- The custom questions library will display. You can add a new question to the library using the
+ Add custom question option at the bottom of the screen:
- Add the details for your custom question - this will determine how your new custom question will be displayed in the Document Editor, and what a user will be asked when this merge field is added to a document:
- Step Title - the title of the page upon which this custom question will appear when a user creates a document from a template containing this question.
- Step instructions - when populated, this is the description that will display to a user when they are asked to populate this field when creating a new document from a template containing this question.
Question/s - multiple question fields can be added to a single custom question using the 'Add item' button at the bottom of each question section. For each question:
- Question Text - the name of the custom question as displayed in the questions library, and in the list of merge field in the Document Editor.
- Instructions - guidance text for the user completing the merge field to understand the required information.
- Merge Field Name - the name of the merge field displayed in the Document Editor library, and on the screen when the user completes the merge field in a document.
- Condition (advanced) -
- Type (text) - the type of input field presented to the user when they respond to the question. When dropdown is selected, you must provide the values that users can select from when answering this question.
Once you have completed question configuration, select Save to add your question to the library. Once added, the merge field related to this question will be displayed in the Document Editor in the Questions section.